Simple French Onion Soup.
You can cook Simple French Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Simple French Onion Soup
- Prepare 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- It’s 4 cups of sliced onions.
- It’s 4 (10.5 ounce) of cans beef broth.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of dry sherry.
- You need 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- It’s 1 pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare 4 slices of French bread.
- It’s 4 slices of provolone cheese.
- You need 2 slices of Swiss cheese, diced.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
Simple French Onion Soup instructions
- Melt butter with olive oil in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat. Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions..
- Add beef broth, sherry and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes..
- Heat the oven broiler..
- Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer). Layer each slice of bread with a slice of provolone, 1/2 slice diced Swiss and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly..